- Toaster Cover Front - Place the 9" x 21"
cream colored cotton face up on top of the 9" x 21"
batting piece. Using a water soluble marker, mark a diagonal
line (45 degree angle) across the fabric. See diagram #1.
Mark another line going across the other direction diagonally.
- Thread the machine with all purpose thread, attach the
quilting guide and adjust it so that is about 1" from
the needle. Quilt the fabric by sewing on the marked lines
and then sliding the fabric over so that the quilting guide
follows along the previous row of stitching. Stitch across
the entire width of the fabric in both directions until
the fabric is completely quilted.
- Using a water soluble marker, draw a line vertically
down the center of the fabric, the "Y" line. Draw
another line horizontally across the center of the fabric,
the "X" line.
- Attach the embroidery unit.
- At the machine, bring up the chicanery row design and
enter a total of three designs into the work area.
- Select the multiple hoop work area. Move the designs so
that one of the designs is over the intersection of the
X and Y lines on the screen. Move the remaining two designs
so that they are just overlapping the ends of the first
design, keeping them all in a row.
- Embroider the designs on to the quilted cream colored
fabric using the color choices listed on page one. Use the
stabilizer underneath the fabric.
- Trim the fabric to 3 ½" x 13 ½"
centering the row of little chickens.
- Remove the embroidery unit. Rethread with the all purpose
thread. Attach the ¼" quilting foot. Please
note: all seams will be ¼" unless otherwise
- With right sides together, sew a 1" x 13 ½"
black strip to the upper edge of the embroidered chicken
- Sew the remaining 1" x 13 ½" black strip
to the lower edge of the chicken piece. Press seams towards
- Checkerboard - With right sides together and using
a ¼" seam, sew the 1 ½" x 14"
solid red strip to a 1 ½" x 14" cream colored
strip. Press seam towards the red strip.
- With right sides together and using a ¼" seam,
sew the 1 ½" x 14" solid black strip to
a 1 ½" x 14" cream colored strip. Press
seam towards the black strip.
- Using a rotary cutter and ruler, cut across the black
and cream sections at 1 ½" intervals. See diagram
#2. You will need six sections.
- Repeat with the red and cream sections. You will need
- With right sides together, sew the red and cream blocks
from step #15 to the black and cream blocks from step #14.
See diagram #3. There should be one section of red and cream
- Sew the blocks from step #16 to each other. See diagram
#4. Sew the extra red and cream section from step #15 at
the beginning of the checkerboard.
- Sew the checkerboard to the black strip at the bottom
edge of the chicken piece.
- Sew the 1 ¼" x 13 ½" red strip
to the bottom edge of the checkerboard.
- Sew the 1" x 13 ½" red strip to the black
strip at the top edge of the chicken piece.
- Sew the 2" x 13 ½" red checked strip
to the red strip from step #20.
- Thread the top of the machine with the monofilament thread.
Attach the open toe foot.
- On a flat surface, lay one of the 9" x 13 ½"
red checked pieces face down.
- Lay a 9" x 13 ½" batting on top of it.
- Lay the toaster cover on top of the batting right side
facing up. Pin.
- Stitch in the ditch between the seams of the different
- Toaster Cover back - On a flat surface, lay another
one of the 9" x 13 ½" red checked fabric
pieces face down. Lay the remaining 9" x 13 ½"
batting down on top of it. Lay the remaining 9" a 13
½" red checked pieces on top of the batting,
right side facing up. Pin.
- Using all purpose thread, quilt the fabric using the same
technique from step #2.
- Stack the toaster cover top of the toaster cover back
and trim the upper corners so that they are rounded.
- Toaster Cover Side - On a flat surface, lay one
of the 7 ½" x 32" red checked fabric pieces
face down. Lay the 7 ½" x 32" batting down
on top of it. Lay the remaining 7 ½" x 32"
red checked pieces on top of the batting, right side facing
- Quilt the fabric using the same technique from step #2.
- Pin the toaster cover side to the toaster cover front,
with the lining together. Sew using a 3/8" seam sew
the two together. Trim off any excess of the side piece
even with the toaster cover front.
- Repeat the process with the back piece.
- Insert the 2" x 45" strips of red and black
fabrics into the bias tape maker, pressing as the strip
exits the bias tape maker.
- Apply the folded strips of red fabric to the raw seams
of the top and side seams.
- Apply the folded strip of black fabric to the bottom edge.