Lady's Car Coat
DescriptionStart thinking of cool autumn days as you create this stylish addition to your fall wardrobe.
- Micro suede as needed for coat pattern
- Lining fabric as needed for pattern
- Interfacing as needed for pattern
- ½ yard tear-away adhesive backed stabilizer
- Ladies’ double-breasted coat pattern. We used Butterick pattern B4875
- 1½” buttons to cover
- Chalk wheel marker
- Chromium needles category style 2000, size 12 and 14
- Hand sewing needle
- Sewing thread to match fabric for construction
- Diamond and Circular medallion embroidery designs available from Singer website.
- Rayon Embroidery threads (40 wt): 2 colors are needed for the designs
- CE-350 Futura™
- CE-250 Futura™
- XL-6000 QUANTUM®
- CE-150 Futura™
- CE-100 Futura™
- XL-5000 QUANTUM®
- XL-150 QUANTUM®
- CE-200 Futura™
- Cut out coat as directed by pattern.
- On right front side, use a chalk wheel marker to draw a vertical line (Y axis) at center front at the waistline marking.
- Place a short line across the Y axis line, again at the waistline marking.
- Repeat for center back panel.
Directions for Futura™ users:
- Turn on the Futura machine.
- Place large hoop with the stabilizer onto the machine.
- Open Futura software. In the TEXT portion of the software, type a small period in the text box and apply stitches. Center the pattern by using the center function of the software.
- Open a new screen and open the diamond medallion design. Center the design by using the center function in the software.
- Transmit the first pattern (the period) to the Futura machine. Using the period to find the center of the hoop, place the fabric on top of the adhesive stabilizer and insert the needle in the center of the x-y line. When the fabric is in the desired position, press firmly into place smoothing from the center out. This will assure that the design will sew in the proper position. Cancel transmission.
- Now transmit the medallion design to the machine. Stitch.
- Repeat steps 2 through 6 for the coat back panel.
- Using smaller pieces of fabric, embroider as many round medallions as needed for the coat. Be sure to leave enough fabric around the outside of the embroidery to cover the buttons.
Directions for QUANTUM® XL-150, XL1000, XL-5000 and XL-6000 users:
- Turn on machine and place medium hoop with adhesive stabilizer on machine.
- Using the built-in lettering, enter a small (7mm) period. Use the editing tools to center the period.
- Open the diamond medallion. Use the editing tools to center the design.
- On the sew screen start sewing out the period without thread in the machine needle. Machine will move to center of the hoop and only sew a few stitches before it stops. Clear the error message. Place the fabric on top of the adhesive stabilizer. Insert the needle in the center of the X-Y lines. This will ensure that the design will stitch in the center of the square. When the square is correctly placed, press the fabric onto the stabilizer, smoothing from the center out. Cancel embroidery. Using the eyeglasses, move to the medallion pattern.
- Thread machine and stitch out the design.
- Repeat steps 3 through 5 for the coat center back panel.
- Embroider the medallions to be used for covering the buttons. Embroider as many as necessary for the pattern. Be sure to leave ample fabric around the embroidered area for covering the buttons.
Construct coat, following pattern directions. Use round embroidered medallions to cover buttons.
SINGER® and Quantum® are registered trademarks of The Singer Company Limited or its affiliates. ©2007 The Singer Company Limited. All rights reserved.