Combine two of your favorite fabrics, then blend with decorative stitching and decorative threads. The result is a personal creative statement you can take anywhere!
- ¾ yard Fabric A - (Tote mid section, handles)
- 1-1/8 yards Fabric B - (Top and bottom bands, lining)
- 9" zipper
- 1/3 yard low-loft cotton batting
- Thread to match fabrics
- Contrast color(s) decorative thread(s)
- Fabric marking pencil
- 2½" x 16" Piece heavy-weight cardboard OR foam core board
- 3116 Simple
- 4228 Inspiration
- 4220 Inspiration
- 7436 Ingenuity
- 4212 Inspiration™
- 4210 Inspiration
- 4206 Inspiration™
- 4205 Inspiration
- 7422 Advance
- 7466 Touch & Sew
- 7462 Touch & Sew
- 7444 Precision
NOTE: Use ½" seam allowance, unless otherwise noted.
- Place wrong side of 11" x 20" Fabric A pieces to matching size batting pieces.
- Draw vertical lines, spaced 2" apart on fabric.
- Straight stitch on lines drawn, through all layers, to quilt.
- Place wrong side of Fabric B pieces to matching size batting pieces. Pin.
- Using decorative threads(s), stitch several rows of decorative stitching
parallel to 20" edge centered horizontally on each piece.
- Arrange units as shown:
- Right sides together, stitch pieces these pieces together. Press seams open.
- Fold unit in half, right sides together, matching sides and top raw edges.
Stitch side seams.
- To square bottom of tote, match side seam to bottom fold and stitch across
2" down from point, as shown.
- Repeat for other side.
- Turn tote to right side.
- Fold each handle piece in half lengthwise and press. Open pressed handle.
Fold again bringing raw edges to center fold. Press each side.
- Lift up one of the folded edges and insert batting strip under fold. Bring
outer edges of each handle together- each handle should now measure 1" wide.
- Topstitch ¼" from each long edge on each handle.
- Right sides together baste ends of handle to top edge of tote front and
back, as shown:
- Turn under ½" and press on one long edge of each pocket piece.
- Place pressed edges of pocket pieces close to coil of zipper. Put zipper
foot on machine. Stitch close to pressed edges.
- Turn under and press seam allowance on all four sides of pocket.
- Place wrong side of pocket unit centered on lining and 4" from top edge.
Put general purpose foot on machine and stitch pocket close to pressed edge
on all sides.
- Right sides together, fold lining in half matching top and side raw edges.
- Stitch down one side. Stitch on other side leaving a 5" opening for turning.
- Repeat Step 9 for lining. Trim the point off from each side leaving a ½"
- Right sides together, pin lining to tote matching top raw edges and side
seams. Stitch. Turn tote right side out through side seam opening.
- Stitch opening closed. Push lining into tote.
- Topstitch ¼" from top edge of tote, keeping handles free.
- Wrap wrong side of fabric remnant over cardboard. Using the zipper foot,
stitch close to cardboard edge. Trim edge with pinking shears.
- Insert covered cardboard piece into bottom of tote for added stability.
NOTE: Remove cardboard when tote is laundered.
SINGER® and Quantum® are registered trademarks of The Singer Company
Limited or its affiliates. ©2007 The Singer Company Limited. All rights