Covered Headband - Decorative Stitching
Covered headbands are the definitive fashion accessory of the season. Make your own to go with your favorite outfits. You can even embellish it with decorative stitching to express your creativity and style!
- ¼ yard fabric
- Thread to match
- Purchased headband to cover
- FOR DECORATIVE STITCHED HEADBAND: contrasting color thread(s) for decorative stitching;
tear-away stabilizer; wash-away marking pencil
Measure across the widest part of the headband. Double this measurement and
ADD 1 5/8". Note the measurement. (Example: If headband measures 2" - double
is 4", then add 1 5/8" to get 5 5/8"). Cut one piece of fabric in the size calculated
above x width of the fabric.
Directions (Plain Headband):
- Trim selvages off ends of fabric piece.
- Fold fabric right sides together matching long, raw edges. Pin.
- Using a ½" seam, stitch along long edge keeping both short ends free, forming
- Gently press seam open.
- Turn tube to right side (this is where the bodkin helps).
- Slide fabric tube over headband. Be sure headband is centered and the two ties are of equal length.
- Tie an overhand knot in fabric tube at each end of headband, to secure it in place.
- Turn in ½" on each end of fabric tube to conceal raw edges. Press.
- Stitch across each end to secure hem in place.
Directions (for headband with decorative stitching accent):
- Measure width and length of headband.
- Using a fabric marking pencil, draw a rectangle centered on right side of fabric piece the size measured in Step 1.
This is the area where the decorative stitching will be.
- Place a piece of tear-away stabilizer on wrong side of fabric under area to have decorative stitching.
- Select the decorative stitch pattern(s) to embellish fabric. NOTE: Experiment with various stitch patterns and thread color combinations on a fabric remnant before stitching
on cover for headband. Limit stitching to size area noted in Step 2.
- Place desired color thread in needle and stitch parallel rows of decorative stitching, as desired, in area marked in Step 2.
- Remove stabilizer.
- Remove pencil markings.
- Complete headband following Steps 3 thru 8 of plain headband directions.
SINGER® and Quantum® are registered trademarks of The Singer Company
Limited or its affiliates. ©2007 The Singer Company Limited. All rights