- ¼ yard fabric
- Thread to match
- Purchased headband to cover
- FOR DECORATIVE STITCHED HEADBAND: contrasting color thread(s) for decorative stitching;
tear-away stabilizer; wash-away marking pencil
Measure across the widest part of the headband. Double this measurement and
ADD 1 5/8". Note the measurement. (Example: If headband measures 2" - double
is 4", then add 1 5/8" to get 5 5/8"). Cut one piece of fabric in the size calculated
above x width of the fabric.
Directions (Plain Headband):
- Trim selvages off ends of fabric piece.
- Fold fabric right sides together matching long, raw edges. Pin.
- Using a ½" seam, stitch along long edge keeping both short ends free, forming
- Gently press seam open.
- Turn tube to right side (this is where the bodkin helps).
- Slide fabric tube over headband. Be sure headband is centered and the two ties are of equal length.
- Tie an overhand knot in fabric tube at each end of headband, to secure it in place.
- Turn in ½" on each end of fabric tube to conceal raw edges. Press.
- Stitch across each end to secure hem in place.
Directions (for headband with decorative stitching accent):
- Measure width and length of headband.
- Using a fabric marking pencil, draw a rectangle centered on right side of fabric piece the size measured in Step 1.
This is the area where the decorative stitching will be.
- Place a piece of tear-away stabilizer on wrong side of fabric under area to have decorative stitching.
- Select the decorative stitch pattern(s) to embellish fabric. NOTE: Experiment with various stitch patterns and thread color combinations on a fabric remnant before stitching
on cover for headband. Limit stitching to size area noted in Step 2.
- Place desired color thread in needle and stitch parallel rows of decorative stitching, as desired, in area marked in Step 2.
- Remove stabilizer.
- Remove pencil markings.
- Complete headband following Steps 3 thru 8 of plain headband directions.
SINGER® and Quantum® are registered trademarks of The Singer Company
Limited or its affiliates. ©2007 The Singer Company Limited. All rights