Fabric (yardage is given for 50" square finished quilt)
- ½ yard each of 2 pastels for squares (one color will also be used for corner squares on final border)
- ¾ yard of third pastel for squares and outer borders
- 3 yards coordinating fabric for sashing, borders, binding and backing
- 1½ yards low loft cotton batting
- 2 yards tear away adhesive backed stabilizer
- Air soluble marking pen
- Chromium needles, size 12 and 14
- Quarter inch foot (optional)
- Hand sewing needle
- Neutral colored sewing thread for construction
- 3 colors of embroidery thread (rayon or poly), each slightly darker than the pastels being used for the squares
- 3 colors of variegated 30 wt. thread for quilting
- Optional: rotary cutter, and mat
- Long ruler
- From each of the 3 pastel fabrics, cut three 9½" squares.
- From the backing fabric, cut 6 rectangles at 9½'x4½".
- From the backing fabric, cut 6 strips 9½" wide - the width of the fabric.
- From the larger pastel piece, cut 4 strips - 3½" wide - the width of the fabric.
- From one of the other pastels, cut four 3½" squares. Set aside remaining fabrics for use later.
- To mark center of the block, fold in half lengthwise, and finger press a crease. Repeat, folding crosswise.
Use the intersection of these folds as a placement guide for the embroidery design.
Directions for "Part 1" for Futura users
- Turn on the Futura machine.
- Place large hoop with the fabric and stabilizer onto the machine.
- Open Futura software. In the TEXT portion of the software, type a small period in the text box and apply stitches.
Center the pattern by using the center function of the software.
- Open a new screen and open one of the Medallion designs. Center the design by using the center function in the software.
- Transmit the first pattern (the period) to the Futura machine. Using the period to find the center of the hoop,
place the fabric on top of the adhesive stabilizer and insert the needle in the center of the x-y line.
When the fabric is in the desired position, press firmly into place smoothing from the center out.
This will assure that the design will sew in the proper position. Cancel transmission.
- Now transmit the Scrolled Medallion design to the machine. Stitch 3 blocks using this design.
- Repeat steps 2 through 6 for the remaining 2 Scrolled Medallion designs.
Directions for "Part 1" QUANTUM XL-15O, XL1000, XL-5000 and XL-6000 users
- Turn on machine and place medium hoop with fabric and adhesive stabilizer on machine.
- Using the built-in lettering, enter a small (7mm) period. Use the editing tools to center the period.
- Open the Scrolled Medallion Design. Use the editing tools to center the design.
- On the sew screen start sewing out the period without thread in the machine needle. Machine will move to
center of the hoop and only sew a few stitches before it stops. Clear the error message.
Place the fabric on top of the adhesive stabilizer. Insert the needle in the center of the S-Y lines.
This will ensure that the design will stitch in the center of the square.
When the square is correctly placed, press the fabric onto the stabilizer, smoothing from the center out.
Cancel embroidery. Using the eyeglasses, move to the Medallion pattern.
- Thread machine and stitch out the design.
- Repeat 2 more times with this design.
SINGER® and Quantum® are registered trademarks of The Singer Company Limited or its affiliates.
©2006 The Singer Company Limited. All rights reserved.