The richness of velvet adds beauty to any home décor. While creating this project, you will learn the
special techniques for embroidering on velvet. The finished size of this project is 16" x 13½".
Thread colors selected were chosen to match the Butterfly print fabric pictured in the illustration
of the finished project.
- 9" x 16" rectangle of black velvet (A)
- 3" x 16" strip of black velvet (E)
- 16" x 14" butterfly cotton print (F)
- 2½" x 14" butterfly cotton print (C)
- 1½" x 14" gold cotton strips (B)
- 1½" x 12" gold cotton strip (D)
- 16" x 14" cotton flannel (serves as light batting)
- Black all-purpose thread
- Water-soluble stabilizer for topping on velvet embroidery
- Sticky-back stabilizer for velvet embroidery
- Black bobbinfil for embroidery
- Singer Chromium needles size 90/14 (Style 2000)
Embroidery (PDF file - 1 page of 8.5" x 11" paper)
- Robison-Anton® Super Brite™ Polyester embroidery threads:
(Bold numbers are sew-out steps of the embroidery design)
1-2: 5855 Pastel green
3: 9120 Daiquiri Ice
4: 5612 Isle green
5: 9109 Pooh
6: 5616 Celery
7: 9149 Slightly green
8: 766 Manilla
All seam allowances ¼" unless stated differently.
- Set machine up for embroidery. Fill bobbin with black bobbinfil. Thread the needle with thread color for Steps 1 and 2.
- Apply sticky-back stabilizer to hoop, following the manufacturer's directions.
- Find the center of the 9" x 16" black velvet.
- Center the velvet on the sticky-back stabilizer.
- Place the water-soluble stabilizer on top of velvet.
Note: The water soluble stabilizer will prevent embroidery threads on top from burying into the nap of the fabric.
- Sew out the design.
- Remove the design from hoop and carefully remove the stabilizer.
- Cut the finished block to 8" x 14".
- Set the machine for regular sewing and straight stitch with black all-purpose thread.
- Place the right side of the 1½" gold strip (B) on the right side of 14" edge of (A). Sew a ¼" seam with the straight stitch.
- Repeat on the other side of (A) with the other strip of (B).
- Press the seams open.
Note: Special care must be taken when pressing velvet to prevent pressing marks on velvet.
Place a plush towel on ironing surface. Lay right side of velvet down and press lightly.
- Seam each 2½" x 14" strip (C) to right side of (B) strips.
- Press seams open.
Note: All the completed stitching through Step 14 will be referred to as the SEWN BLOCK
in the directions from this point on.
- Finish one long edge of (D) strip to prevent fraying.
- To create loops from which to hang the finished wall-hanging, fold the long unfinished edge approximately 1/3 to wrong side and press.
- Fold the finished edge over approximately 1/3 and press.
- Thread machine with gold thread to topstitch ¼" from each fold line the length of the strip.
- Divide (D) into four 3-inch strips.
- Position each strip right side down on Sewn Block. Refer to positioning
of strips in Diagram-1
- Attach each strip with a scant ¼" to hold in place.
- With the right sides together, seam 3" x 16" black velvet strip (E) over gold strips and the Sewn Block.
- Press the seams open.
- Press the gold strips to the top of (E).
- Attach the strips with a scant ¼" to hold in place at the top of the velvet strip.
- Lay the cotton flannel on the back side of the finished block. Baste in place with a scant ¼" stitching line around block.
- Lay right side of the 16" x 14" Butterfly backing (F) on the right side of the block and pin.
- Seam completely around block, except for a 3" opening at the bottom. Use a 3/8" seam allowance.
- Turn the completed block through the opening to the right side and press.
- Hand-stitch the opening closed.
SINGER® and Quantum® are registered trademarks of The Singer Company Limited or its affiliates.
©2006 The Singer Company Limited. All rights reserved.
- XL-6000 QUANTUM®
- CE-100 Futura™
- XL-150 | Quantum®
- CE-200 Futura™