Christmas Tree Skirt
DescriptionTrim your tree with this beautifully embellished tree skirt.
- 2.8 yards 45" quilted fabric
- 6 yards ruffled trim for edges
- 2 yards 1 inch wide green ribbon
- 2 yards 1 inch wide red ribbon
- 4 Christmas ornaments
- Sewing thread to match quilted fabric
- Sewing thread to match trim
- Marking pencil
- Embroidery thread (see "Gift Box" design for list of colors)
- XL-6000 QUANTUM®
- CE-100 Futura™
- XL-5000 QUANTUM®
- XL-150 QUANTUM®
- CE-200 Futura™
- Cut a 45" X 50" piece of the quilted fabric.
- From the remaining fabric cut a 6" X 50 " piece. You can use the leftover fabric to make Christmas stockings or other decorative items.
- Assemble the 2 pieces of quilted fabric with a ½-inch seam. Press seam.
- Fold your pieced fabric into 4, matching the corners.
- Measure 24 ½-inches from the folder corner that has no raw edges and mark using a marking pencil all around the edge of the fabric.
- Cut along the marked line to form a pie-shaped piece.
- Cut open one layer of the fabric that has the seamed piece running through it.
- Cut out the point of the folded corner that has no raw edges to form an opening for the tree trunk. Open up the tree skirt.
- Mark the center front of the circle 7 inches from the bottom edge of fabric using a marking pencil.
- Mark the 2 center sides of the circle 7 inches from the bottom edge of the fabric using a marking pencil.
Directions for completing the embroidery:
- Hoop your fabric positioning one of the center marks in the center of the hoop.
- Send the "Gift Box" design to the machine.
- Sew out the 7 color blocks of the design following the prompts from your machine or computer depending on what model machine you are using.
- Sew out one design on each of the center marks. When completed you will have 3 "Gift Box" designs stitched out.
Sewing and finishing instructions:
- Set-up your sewing machine for a straight stitch and thread it up with the thread that matches your quilted fabric. Finish the raw edges of the tree skirt by turning the edge under ¼ of an inch and topstitching. Press seam. (If you have a serger, you can serge the edges rather than turning them under).
- Attach the purchased ruffled trim all around the edges of the tree skirt using a straight stitch, starting from a corner and ending at that corner.
- Mark center points 5 ½ inches from bottom edge between the designs, as well as the center points between the last design and the open seams at the back of the skirt.
- Sew out 2 buttonholes side-by-side, 1-1/8 inches long at each center marking. (This is the longest buttonhole your 1-step buttonhole foot can make, so simply open the slide plate at the back of the foot as wide as it will go to get the 1-1/8 opening).
- Use a seam ripper to slit open each buttonhole.
- Cut each length of the red and green ribbon in 2, to form 4 1-yard lengths.
- Take each ribbon and slip into buttonholes at each center marking and tie into bows. Alternate the colors so you have a red bow, green bow, red bow, etc.
- Align the edge of the ribbon with the bottom edge of the tree skirt by cutting the end of the ribbon diagonally.
- Attach purchased ornaments to each bow.
SINGER® and Quantum® are registered trademarks of The Singer Company Limited or its affiliates. ©2006 The Singer Company Limited. All rights reserved.