- 2/3 yard fabric for pillow
- One 21" x 22" piece of low loft cotton batting
- One 21" x 22" piece of muslin
- One 14 inch round pillow form
- No-show poly mesh (optional)
- Free-motion embroidery foot
- Rolled Hem foot
- Ruffler foot
- Overcasting foot
- Wash-away fabric marker
- "Art Deco Tulips" embroidery design files
- Tulip pillow pattern
- Scotch tape
- Singer® style 2020 needles size 11
- Singer® Chromium style 2000 needles size 11
- All purpose thread in color to match pillow fabric
- Robison-Anton® rayon embroidery threads:
Green Dust #2547
Rose Cerise #2244
Desert Bloom #2503
- Print pillow pattern
(PDF file) on letter size printer paper.
Do not allow printer to scale printing smaller or to fit paper.
- Cut pattern pieces out along pattern outlines.
- Tape pattern piece #1b to pattern piece #1a as shown in Figure 1.
- Tape pattern piece #3b to pattern piece #3a as shown in Figure 2.
- Tape pattern piece #4b to pattern piece #4a as shown in Figure 3.
- Place pattern pieces #3a/b and #4a/b onto pillow fabric as shown in Figure
- Cut one 21" x 22" piece of the pillow fabric for pillow top. Do not
cut out pattern piece #1a/b.
- Pin into place as needed and cut out pattern pieces.
- Mark center lines and placement circles onto fabric pieces.
- With a wash-away fabric marker and long ruler, on right side of fabric, mark the center length and width
(or X and Y axis) of the 21: x 22" cut pillow fabric.
- Layer together one 21" x 22" piece of muslin, quilt batting and the 21" x 22" piece of pillow fabric with right side up.
- Set aside.
At the Computer: Preparing Design File
- Open the SINGER® PSW™ program.
- On the menu bar, select File: Open.
- When the Image dialog box opens, select No Image.
- Locate the folder where the Art Deco Tulip files are stored and select the
- On the vertical tool bar, select Zoom and then select Zoom
Out from the horizontal tool bar.
- Print an actual size copy of the design to use as a positioning
The complete template should look similar to Figure 5. The black cross-hairs
circled represent the center of the 21" x 22" markings on the pillow top
- Left click mouse on the Print icon on the horizontal
- Left click mouse on the 1:1 icon.
- Place a checkmark in the Mask option.
- Place a checkmark in Origin and End Point option.
- Remove checkmark from Color option.
- Left click mouse on the Print Now icon.
- Print two copies of the template.
- Tape templates together using the origin point lines (circled) as guides.
- On the vertical tool bar, left click mouse on the Select arrow
- On the horizontal tool bar left click on the Select All icon.
The design will be displayed in black on the screen indicating that all
parts of the design are selected.
- From the menu bar, select Edit: Copy.
- On the horizontal tool bar, left click mouse on the Cancel
(red X) icon.
You may need to click on the Cancel option twice.
- On the horizontal tool bar, left click mouse on the Next Color (Stop)
- On the horizontal tool bar, select Paste.
- The newly pasted design is displayed in black on the screen. Right click
mouse and a menu will display.
- Select Flip Horizontally.
- Right click to open the menu.
- Select Flip Vertically.
The keyboard controls of H for Flip Horizontally and V for Flip Vertically
may also be used.
- Move the mouse cursor over pasted design and press and hold the left mouse
button. Drag the design into position below the original design. Place pasted
design as shown in Figure 6.
Use the Zoom and then Zoom In tool on
the vertical tool bar if needed to align design properly.
- When design is in position, right click mouse and select Finish.
The keyboard control of ENTER may also be used.
- On the vertical tool bar, select Zoom and then select Fit
in Screen on the horizontal tool bar.
- On the vertical tool bar select Hoop.
- From the Read HOOP Frames dialog box, select the SINGER
XL-5000 Multiple 250x450 option and then select OK
to apply the hoop selection.
- From the menu bar, select Create: Add multiple hoop cross.
- On the vertical toolbar, select Stitch Colors.
This design was created specifically for the multiple hoop the SINGER®
PSW™ software system.
- When the Colors dialog box opens look at the color sequence
in the design. It should look similar to Figure 7.
There are only three colors in the design and the colors repeat for each
section of the multiple hoop design file. Color 13 is the color of the multiple
hoop cross that was added.
- Close the Color dialog box.
At the Computer: Writing Designs to Card
- On the menu bar, select File: Write using multiple hoop.
- Left click mouse as needed to place an outline around the
section of the design for position one of the multiple hoop. See Figure
- When the outline is completed, move the mouse cursor to the center of the selected design and right click mouse to confirm selection.
- On the horizontal tool bar colors chips display allowing sections of the
design to be selected by color sections. See Figure 9.
Since this design was created for the multiple hoop, it is easy to select
the sections of the design by color.
- Left click mouse on the first three color chips on the horizontal tool bar. The selected design sections will display black indicating that they are selected.
- Right click mouse and a message box will display indicating that the selected portions have been saved. The areas will display gray on the screen.
- Repeat steps two through six for the remaining three sections of the design using the multiple hoop cross as a selection guide.
Sections should be selected in a clockwise direction for this particular
- When all sections of the design have been saved, left click mouse on the
Write multiple hoop data to card icon on the horizontal tool
- When the Save Multiple Hoop on Smart Media dialog box opens,
select SmartMedia and then Save in a New Page. OR
if connected directly to the Quantum™ XL-6000, skip step 8 and select File: Transmit to machine.
Sewing Procedure: Embroidery
- Place the Singer® Chromium (style 2000) size 11 needle on the machine.
- Place embroidery arm on the machine.
- On the Quantum™ XL-6000 touch screen, select the first section of the Art
Deco Tulip design.
- A message will display on the screen indicating that this is a Multiple
Hoop design file. Press the OK pictogram.
- Select the remaining three design sections until all four designs sections
are showing on at the top of the machine touch screen.
- Press the OK pictogram and the complete design will display
on the machine touch screen.
- Using the printed design template as a guide, touch the screen to position
the hoop image over the first section of the design. Use the arrows as needed
to position the hoop more precisely.
Try to position the hoop accurately based on cross hair lines on the design
template and fabric. The Quantum™ XL-6000 manual explains how to use the multiple
hoop function in detail on pages 83 through 92.
- Hoop the muslin, batting and pillow fabric (right side up), for the first
section of the design using the printed template and marked lines as guides.
See Figure 10.
- Embroider first multiple hoop design section.
- Hoop the muslin, batting and pillow fabric, for the second section of the
design using the printed template and marked lines as guides. See Figure
- Embroider second design section.
- Repeat for design sections three and four as shown in Figure 12
and Figure 13.
Figures 12 and 13
Be as accurate as possible, based on the printed design template when
placing fabric in hoop so that you will not receive error messages on the
machine indicating that the design is outside of the embroidery field.
- When all sections of design are completed, rotate the embroidered fabric
90 degrees and repeat steps 5 through 10 to complete the
second multiple hoop section marked five through eight as shown in Figure
Sewing Procedure: Pillow Construction
Pattern piece #2 is optional and can be used if you wish to place a covered button in the center of the pillow top.
- Fold finished embroidered pillow front along vertical center line with right
side facing up.
- Place pattern piece #1a/b on pillow top matching fold line and marked horizontal
center as shown in Figure 15.
- Pin in place and cut pillow top.
- Remove embroidery arm from the Quantum™ XL-6000 and place in storage case.
- Place the Singer® style 2020 size 11 needle on the machine.
- Place standard presser foot (A) on machine.
- Select the straight stitch in the center sewing position from the utility
stitching on the machines.
- Turn inner edge of each back section toward inside ¼ inch and press into
- Turn inner edge of each back section to inside along marked fold lines and
press into place.
- Stitch hem in place close to finished edge on each back section. See
- Using a ½ inch seam allowance, sew ruffle pieces together on at ends to
form a long strip of fabric.
- Taking care to press seams in the same direction, press ruffle seam allowances
to one side.
- Trim bottom seam allowance to ¼ inch to remove bulk.
- Turn top seam allowance under ¼ inch and press into place. Make sure that
the ¼ inch turn covers the edge of the bottom seam allowance.
- Stitch into place, creating a mock flat felled seam. Refer to page 44
of the Quantum™ XL-6000 machine manual.
- Repeat for second seam on ruffle.
- Place the rolled hemming foot (F) on the machine.
- Select the straight stitch in the left sewing position from the utility
stitches on the machine.
- With wrong side facing up, carefully create a rolled hem along one long
edge of the ruffle. Refer to page 49 of the Quantum™ XL-6000 machine manual.
- Finish one short edge of the ruffle with a rolled hem.
- Place the ruffler foot on the machine following the instructions included
- Tighten the depth screw on the ruffler all the way.
- Set the ruffler regulator to 6 so that it will ruffle every 6 stitches.
- Select the straight stitch in the center position from the utility stitches
on the machine and check that the needle is in the correct position before
starting to sew.
- Follow the directions for ruffling a single layer of fabric.
- Using slightly less than a ½ inch seam allowance, ruffle the unfinished
edge of the pillow ruffle.
- Place the standard foot (A) on the machine.
- With right sides together and finished edge of ruffle to the inside, pin
the ruffle to the embroidered pillow front matching unfinished edges.
- Stitch pillow top and ruffle together using slightly less than a ½ inch
seam allowance. See Figure 17.
- Take care to overlap starting point of ruffle with approximately a ½ inch
at end of ruffle on the seam line.
- Trim excess fabric from ruffle leaving a ½ inch for rolled hem on ruffle
- Turn raw edge of ruffle under a ¼ inch and press.
- Turn pressed end a ¼ inch again and press. See Figure 18.
- Finish end of ruffle stitching close to turned edge.
- With right sides together, pin back sections to pillow front matching center
lines and small circles.
Take care to match raw edges of pillow front and back sections where back
- Using a ½ inch seam allowance stitch pillow backs and pillow front together
taking care not to catch ruffle in stitching.
- Place the overcasting foot (C) on the machine.
- Select the overcast stitch from the utility stitches on the machine.
- Finish raw pillow edges with overcast stitch.
- Turn pillow right side out.
- If needed mist the pillow top lightly with spray bottle to remove marked
design placement lines.
- Press pillow as needed.
- Place round 14 inch pillow form inside pillow case and enjoy.
PROJECT INSTRUCTIONS (PDF FILE)
VIEW/PRINT PILLOW PATTERN PIECES
SINGER® and Quantum® are registered trademarks of the Singer Company
Ltd. ©2006 Singer Sewing Company. All rights reserved.