Create a lovely table topper that speaks of spring flowers. The project includes hemstitching by machine, use of decorative stitching and design placement using the SINGER® multi-hoop on the Quantum® XL-6000. For the Quantum® Futura™, templates will be printed out to aid in design placement.
- One yard soft yellow linen
- Wing needle
- SINGER® chromium needles size 12
- Blank Smart Media card
- PSW™ 2.00a
- Water soluble stabilizer
- "FlowerPot" embroider design
- Robison-Anton® rayon embroidery thread:
Cristy Blue #2383
- All-purpose sewing thread to match linen fabric
- Lightweight bobbin thread for embroidery
- Air-soluble marking pen
- Spray adhesive
- XL-6000 QUANTUM®
- CE-200 Futura™
At the Computer (for Quantum® XL-6000):
- To ensure a straight edge, pull threads on the linen, then cut along the
line to create a 36” square.
- Measure in 1¼” from each raw edge, and pull a thread as a guide
for folding the hem.
- Fold under ¼” on each raw edge and press, then fold again along
the line created when the thread was pulled.
- Press again.
- In order to form the miters, open out the last fold (hemline fold). Fold
the cloth diagonally, so that two sides are aligned, and a 45° is formed. Pin
- Place a mark at a 45° angle to the diagonal fold. See diagram below.
This mark will be the stitching line.
- Repeat with remaining corners.
- Set machine up for regular sewing, with all-purpose thread in needle and
- Stitch each corner miter, trim the seam allowance to ¼”, and
finger press the seam open.
- Turn miter right side out, and pin in place.
- Insert wing needle in machine.
- For Quantum® XL-6000, from the Pink Stitch File Folders, select Folder
#1, second row, first stitch. For the Futura™, select Stitch #12, length
slide all the way up, and width slide about ¾ of the way down.
- Select the smallest size.
- Stitch all around the hem, having the straight stitches enter only the fabric,
while the needle swing enters the fold of the hem.
- Change the needle back to the chromium size 12, and thread machine with
blue rayon embroidery thread.
- For the Quantum® XL-6000, from the Pink Stitch File Folders, select
Folder #10, fourth stitch from the left. Default length and width. For the
Futura™, select Stitch #32, default length and width.
- On the fabric, measure in 1” from the hemstitching, and mark a line.
The line should begin and end 4” in from the adjacent sides.
- Using the right edge of the “A” foot along the inside of the
line, stitch the Cross-stitch pattern.
- Mark a 12” square centered on the fabric, and stitch the same pattern
- Open the "Flower Pot" design in the PSW™ 2.00a software.
- From the horizontal menu, click on File > Write to Converter.
- Double click on Smart Media > Save in New Page.
- Remove card from Converter Box and insert in machine.
At the Quantum® XL-6000:
At the Computer (for Futura™):
- With the machine off, attach embroidery unit.
- Replace “A” foot with embroidery foot.
- Touch the Card icon.
- Select the Flower Pot design, and confirm.
- From the menu, touch the Multi-hoop icon.
- Touch yellow Return Arrow.
- Touch OK.
- Touch OK.
- On the fabric, draw a line in toward the center from each corner.
- Measure in 5” from the hemstitching at the corner, and draw a line
crossing the first at a 90o angle. See diagram below. These lines
will be the X and Y axis lines used for design placement.
- Hoop water soluble stabilizer in the large hoop, and spray lightly with
- Adhere the marked corner of the fabric to the stabilizer. Pin near the hoop
edges to secure.
- Attach hoop to the machine.
- Enter X and Y axis points in the machine.
At the Futura™:
- Open "Flower Pot" design with Large Hoop selected.
- Click on File > Transmit to FUTURA machine.
- From the main menu, click on View > Show/Hide Grid.
- From the main menu, click on Tools > Set Grid Size.
- Enter the number 800 in the top box. This will create “crosshair
lines” on the design.
- Print template from software, and use for placement – having the bottom
edge of the flowerpot 2” in from the hemstitching at the corner, and
the center vertical line aligned with the marking on the fabric.
- Stitch design.
- Repeat Steps 4 through 10 with remaining corners.
- Remove water soluble stabilizer according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
SINGER® and Quantum® are registered trademarks of the Singer Company
Ltd. © 2005 Singer Sewing Company. All rights reserved.