Holiday Beverage Gift Bag
DescriptionShow a special appreciation to the host this Thanksgiving by creating and giving this holiday beverage bag. This project highlights twin needle sewing, used to create a new look with decorative stitches. Then, further adorn this project with double-needle stippling. One of the embroidered leaves is used to create a 3-dimensional effect. Enjoy and warm the home during the holidays with this special bag.
- Cream Silk 9" x 15"
- Gold Silk 10½" x 15"
- Gold Silk 4" x 15"
- Lining 9" x 15"
- Low-loft cotton batting 9" x 15"
- 1 yard gold cord for drawstring
- Fusible poly-mesh stabilizer 10" x 15"
- Water-soluble stabilizer
- Spray adhesive for sewing
- Tear-away stabilizer strips 2" x 15"
- Decorative button
- 2.0 Twin needle
- Free-motion foot
- Overcastting foot
- Open-toe foot
- Washable fabric marking pen
- SINGER® Chromium needle size 14
- Buttonhole knife
- Liquid fray preventer
- "Autumn Leaf" design download
- Robison-Anton® rayon embroidery threads:
- Dark Gold #2201 (Step 1 and 4)
- Medium Gold #2332 (Step 2 and 5)
- Light Gold #6898 (Step 3 and 6)
- XL-6000 QUANTUM®
- XL-5000 QUANTUM®
- XL-150 QUANTUM®
- CE-100 Futura™
- CE-200 Futura™
- Set machine for embroidery.
- Fuse the poly-mesh stabilizer to the 9” x 15” cream fabric.
- Find the center of the design by folding the fabric in half lengthwise and in half the other way. Lightly finger press creases crosswise.
- Hoop the cream fabric with the center of fabric centered in the hoop. Starting with the dark gold and following the order listed above sew out the leaf design.
- Hoop the water-soluble stabilizer. Repeat the sew-out in Step 4. Trim around the leaf to remove the stabilizer and rinse if needed. Note: To shorten drying time, wet only the edges of design by using a paintbrush or cotton swab dipped in water.
- Convert machine to regular sewing mode and put Open-toe Foot on machine.
- Insert double needle in machine. Thread with darkest gold and lightest gold thread. (Refer to machine manual for correct threading when using a twin needle.) Leave bobbinfil thread in bobbin case.
- Select a decorative satin stitch design and decrease width to 3.0.
- On the cream fabric, mark a line with the water erasable pen 3½” on either side of design center horizontally.
- Place strips of tear-away stabilizer behind marked lines on fabric. Stitch decorative stitching on each marked line.
- Remove tear-away stabilizer from the back side of fabric.
- Spray adhesive to both sides of batting. Sandwich batting between the wrong sides of cream fabric and lining fabric.
- Lower feeddogs and put the Free-motion Foot on the machine for stippling.
- Select straight stitch in center needle position. Stipple the center portion
of the cream fabric using a meandering motion. (See Picture: 2 for more detail.)
- Select a buttonhole from stitch menu. Attach the Buttonhole Foot and adjust the slide of the foot so that the spacing is about ½”.
- Mark two placement lines for buttonholes on the 10½” x 15”
gold silk. Mark a line ¾” in from the side and 3” from
the long bottom side. Repeat on other end of fabric. (See diagram below.)
Place scrap of stabilizer on the back side of fabric where buttonhole will
- Sew a buttonhole on each placement marking. Be sure to start each buttonhole stitching in the same direction. Place liquid fray preventer on buttonholes very sparingly. Cut buttonholes open with buttonhole cutter after the liquid fray preventer has dried.
- Fold under ½” along the top edge farthest from the buttonholes to the wrong side of fabric and press.
- Fold the fabric over again towards the buttonholes so that the folded edge is ¼” past the bottom edge of the buttonholes.
- To form the casing, straight stitch close to the folded edge and stitch
again about ¼” from the top of the buttonholes. The stitching
lines should just touch the ends of the buttonholes.
- Attach the Overcastting Foot. Select a seam and overcastting stitch from the utility stitches on machine. Sew the gold fabric with buttonholes to the center cream panel on top using a ¼” seam.
- With right sides together and using about a ¼” seam, sew the contrasting gold 4” x 15” piece to the bottom of the embroidered panel with the same seam and overcast stitch.
- Press the seams towards the gold fabrics.
- With right sides together, fold the completed panels in half vertically, bringing the two vertical sides together. Sew down the side, then sew across the bottom edge with the seam and overcast stitch.
- Next, create a flat area in the bottom of the bag to hold the bottle. Leave
fabric turned wrong side out. Center the side seam in the middle of the tube.
At the bottom where the seams intersect, fold one of the bottom corners forming
a triangle. Seam across with reinforced straight stitch 1” from the
point. Repeat on other side.
- Turn bag right side out. Thread the cording through the buttonholes and casing. Tie a knot at each end of the cord to prevent raveling.