Project for Singer Featherweight
- 24” x 56” white felt or similar-type firm fabric (for sewing
bag in double thickness, 48” x 56” is required)
- 6” felt in magenta, pink, etc., for appliqué shapes
- 31” bamboo stick – approximately 1” in diameter for carrying
- Threads to match bag fabric and appliqué fabrics
- Cut out the bag from one continuous piece of fabric – 41½”
long by 16½” wide. If the chosen fabric is too soft, double the
amount of fabric will be required. In this case, cut the bag out twice. If
necessary, for additional reinforcement, the fabric pieces can be stabilized
with an fusible stabilizer.
- Cut out two side pieces – 11” x 7½” (if the fabric
has to be doubled, these pieces must be cut out twice).
- From the 41½” x 16½” rectangle, cut out circles
for the grip, approximately 5½” in diameter.
- Transfer the feather motif onto the felt – six times for each side
of the bag.
(See attached feather motif pattern.)
- Stitch around the cut out circles for the grip, using Zigzag Stitch B. If
using double thickness, place the 2 layers together and treat as a single
- If using fabrics that tend to fray, hem the two 16½” sides.
- Use Overedge Stitch D to finish the upper raw edges of the two separate
- Fold the edges inward approximately ½” and stitch the hem
with Straight Stitch A.
- Arrange the feathers on the bag front and back, and pin in place.
- Using the Stretch Straight Stitch A, topstitch along the center of each
feather. Pull thread ends to the back and tie. For this step, use a contrasting
- Stitch the narrow side of each side piece onto the bag bottom. If using
felt, the seam allowances point outward, and do not need to be finished. If
woven fabric is used, the seam allowances are inside and must be finished
with the Overedge Stitch D.
- Stitch all side seams, and then turn the bag right side out.
- To further stabilize the bag, topstitch along all side and bottom seams
on the outside of the bag using a ¼” width.
- Using Overedge Stitch D, finish the raw edges of the bag above the seams.
- Turn the edges under approximately ¼” and stitch the hem using
the Straight Stitch A.
- Turn the ends inward along the fold line and stitch using the Straight
- Cut the bamboo into 2 15-1/5” long pieces. Smooth the cut edges and
push them through the tunnel formed in Step 12.
- If desired, add additional support to the bottom of the bag with a piece
- 118 | Featherweight II®
- 117 | Featherweight™