- Measure the width of your window and add 1 inch.
- Cut 2 pieces of fabric the width of window plus 1 inch, by 17”
- Cut 1 piece fusible interfacing (if necessary) the same size as above
and fuse to one piece of fabric.
- Cut four 8 X 20 inch strips of fabric for tabs. (If window is wider
than 30 inches add 1 tab for every extra 12 inches.)
- Cut 4 pieces fusible interfacing (if necessary) 8 X 20 inches and
fuse to all 4 tab pieces.
- Placing wrong sides of large fabric pieces together, sew the 2 side
seams and top seam at ½ inch. (PHOTO 1)
- Trim seams and press open.
- Turn right side out and press seams flat.
- Attach satin foot, and select stitch # 48 (Scallop).
- With a marking pencil or chalk, trace a line 1 inch from the bottom,
all along the raw edge. (PHOTO 2)
- Place strip of fusible web (optional) along the marked line. Stitch
along following the marked line using stitch # 48 (Scallop).
- Trim along scalloped edge, and trim excess fusible web around the
scallop if necessary. (PHOTO 3)
- Press. If you have used fusible web, be sure to cover stitching with
a clean pressing cloth. The heat of the iron will melt the fusible
web and will prevent the scalloped edge from unraveling.
- Next mirror image stitch # 48 and sew 2 inches from the first scallop.
If you used fusible web for the first scallop, use it again for the
second scallop. (PHOTO 4)
- Select stitch # 53 (Bead) and stitch down the center between the
2 scallops. (PHOTO 5)
- Select stitch # 49 and attach satin foot.
- Select needle down function.
- Divide the width of the valance into 4 equal 4 inch parts, and mark
as shown 5 inches from the top edge. (PHOTO 6)
- Stitch following the box outline.
- Each domino pattern consists of 10 stitches, to pivot stop with needle
on the left as shown on the 10th stitch. Lift presser foot and pivot.
- The line that you have traced is just a guide. You may need to sew
slightly above or below this line depending on where the last stitch
of the pattern ends. The importance is that the corners are clean and
- Program (See instruction manual) the words Red Apples. Stitch out
a test sample to determine the positioning inside the first Domino box.
Be sure to use satin foot. Stitch out the words “Red Apples”
in the first box.
- Program the words Tea & Coffee. Stitch out a test sample to determine
the positioning inside the second Domino box. Stitch out the words “Tea
& Coffee” in the second box.
- Program the words Milk & Sugar. Stitch out a test sample to determine
the positioning inside the third Domino box. Stitch out the words “Milk
& Sugar” in the third box.
- Program the words Red Tomato. Stitch out a test sample to determine
the positioning inside the last Domino box. Stitch out the words “Red
Tomato” in the last box. (PHOTO 8)
- Fold 20-inch strips in two, wrong sides together and press flat.
- Select stitch # 48 and attach satin foot.
- Select needle down function.
- Starting at 1 inch from the right edge, sew all the way down to within
approximately one inch from the bottom edge. (Use fusible web if desired).
Be sure to stop when a full scallop has been completed. Leave needle
in fabric, lift presser foot, and pivot.
- Sew out exactly two (2) scallops across the bottom. Be sure to stop
when a full scallop has been completed. Leave needle in fabric, lift
presser foot, and pivot.
- Stitch down the remaining side. (PHOTO 9)
- Trim along scalloped edge. Trim excess fusible web if necessary. Press.
Be sure to use clean press cloth to cover stitching if you used fusible
- Each tab should be approximately 2 inches wide.
- Stitch out a buttonhole in the bottom section of each tab. (PHOTO
- Attach tab to the back of the valance 2 inches from the edge. Space
the tabs out so that they hang across the top evenly. Secure them in
place with a straight stitch. (PHOTO 11)
- Fold and press the tabs so that they extend 2 inches above the edge
of the valance. (PHOTO 12)
- Attach button at each tab.
| ©2004 Singer